Sibu, Sarawak

MEMO

To:

Yang Amat Berhormat Tan Sri Datuk Amar Haji Adenan Bin Haji Satem - Chief Minister of Sarawak,

Y.B. Dato Sri Wong Soon Koh - Minister of Local Government and Community Development,

Yang Berbahagia Datuk Dr. Penguang Manggil - Permanent Secretary of Ministry of Local Government and Community Development,

Yang Berbahagia Datuk Tiong Thai King - Chairman of Sibu Municipal Council

From: iliveinsibu@yahoo.com

Date: April 14, 2014

Subject: Compliance and Enforcement

SIBU MUNICIPAL COUNCIL HAS FAILED TO ENFORCE SARAWAK BUILDING ORDINANCE 1994

Developer: TSL Development Co. (Regn. No. 144/06)

Developer License No: L1208/KP/HD/03/242

Housing Project: Lot 99, Block 9, Jalan Wong King Huo, Sibu, Sarawak

Type of Home: Two-Storey Terraced Houses

In their eagerness and haste to move into their new houses, house owners of the above on-going housing project do not bother to wait for the above developer to obtain the occupation permit since 2011. It is illegal to stay in a house without the permit and Sibu Municipal Council has the authority to evict the occupants.

The council has not taken action even though the houses are not fit for occupation. The council has even started providing services such as garbage collection, grass cutting, clearing of drains and provision of street lights to the house owners.

“Under Clause 24 of the Building By-Laws of the Fourth Schedule of the Sarawak Building Ordinance 1994, action can be taken against those failing to obtain a complete, partial or temporary occupancy permit. Any failure to comply with this By-Law shall render such person guilty of an offence with a fine of RM10,000 and in the case of a continuing offence to a further fine of RM300 per day during which the offence is continued after notice to cease occupying the building has been issued on such person.”

The council has deviated from its responsibility to safeguard public interests and to ensure all rules and regulations were complied with.

Thank you so much for your attention.

Warmest regards.

Had an Experience with SIBU MUNICIPAL COUNCIL?

Comments